Home button Contact button
Home Live Work Play

What is a Minor Variance

Sarnia's Zoning By-law regulates the way in which land can be used in the City by designating different areas with land use zones. The By-law also contains rules that apply to each zone for things such as permitted uses, building setbacks and lot coverage. Because it is difficult for the Zoning By-law to address every circumstance that may affect the development or use of a particular property, the Planning Act allows City Council to establish a Committee of Adjustment to which property owners can apply when they require a "minor variance" to the regulations.  City Council has also given the Committee of Adjustment authority to grant minor variances to the City's Sign By-law.

Minor variance definition:
Small changes or exceptions to existing land use or development restrictions contained in the zoning, sign and fence by-laws are called minor variances. Public hearings of the Committee

The Committee meets on Tuesdays at 5:00 p.m. on average every three (3) weeks. Please contact the Planning and Building Department for the full public hearing schedule.

This page was reviewed or revised on Wednesday, May 29, 2013 2:48 PM

Printer Friendly Version


Mainly cloudy. Wind becoming north 20 km/h early this afternoon. High 23 except 16 near Lake Huron. Humidex 26. UV index 7 or high.

Current Conditions

Mostly Cloudy


For more information and forecasts, please visit Environment Canada


255 North Christina Street,
Sarnia, ON N7T 7N2
PH#: 519-332-0330
TTY# : 519-332-2664