Home button Contact button
Home Live Work Play

What is a Minor Variance

Sarnia's Zoning By-law regulates the way in which land can be used in the City by designating different areas with land use zones. The By-law also contains rules that apply to each zone for things such as permitted uses, building setbacks and lot coverage. Because it is difficult for the Zoning By-law to address every circumstance that may affect the development or use of a particular property, the Planning Act allows City Council to establish a Committee of Adjustment to which property owners can apply when they require a "minor variance" to the regulations.  City Council has also given the Committee of Adjustment authority to grant minor variances to the City's Sign By-law.

Minor variance definition:
Small changes or exceptions to existing land use or development restrictions contained in the zoning, sign and fence by-laws are called minor variances. Public hearings of the Committee

The Committee meets on Tuesdays at 5:00 p.m. on average every three (3) weeks. Please contact the Planning and Building Department for the full public hearing schedule.

This page was reviewed or revised on Wednesday, May 29, 2013 2:48 PM

Printer Friendly Version


Mainly cloudy. 40 percent chance of showers early this evening. Low 12.

Current Conditions



For more information and forecasts, please visit Environment Canada


255 North Christina Street,
Sarnia, ON N7T 7N2
PH#: 519-332-0330
TTY# : 519-332-2664