Collection of recycling is provided bi-weekly; please refer to the attached 2019 Waste Calendar to determine your zone.
Recycling must be at the curb no earlier than 6:00 p.m. the day prior to your collection day or before 7:00 a.m. on collection day. There cannot be any material set out on the road or in the gutter.
There is no limit to the number of recycling or compostable containers. Blue boxes will be available free of charge to new residents of Sarnia owning detached dwellings as of 2012. Additional blue boxes can be purchased from Public Works and Customer Service, first floor City Hall for $7.00 per box.
If you have any questions, please contact the Public Works Department at 519-344-1932.
IN THE BIN SARNIA
Effective July 1, 2019, recyclables will no longer be collected in plastic bags.
How does this change the way I recycle?
- Set out recyclables in a blue box or blue bin.
- Acceptable blue bins are blue containers up to 32 gallons/121 litres.
- Bagged recyclable materials will not be collected.
- There is no limit to the number of blue bins/boxes.
Eliminating plastic bags improves the recycling process because:
- Plastic bags contaminate the stream of otherwise good recycling material;
- Plastic bags damage equipment at sorting facilities; and
- Reusable blue boxes and bins are an environmentally responsible option.
What can I recycle?
This remains the same! You can still recycle paper, glass, aluminum, and plastic coded 1-6!
- Download the Recycle Coach or My Waste app on your mobile device.
Sarnia's Waste Collection By-Law
If your waste is set out prior to the designated day or placed on the road or gutter it contravenes Sarnia’s Waste Collection By-Law 62 of 2006. Contraventions of this By-Law can result in fines set by the court.
What is PDF? PDF stands for Portable Document Format and is a way of distributing documents over networks while ensuring they always print the same. To view PDF files, you need either the Foxit Reader or Adobe Reader
This page was reviewed or revised on Thursday, June 13, 2019 2:33 PM